Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Throes of Summer


As I was walking across my uncle's yard today, I realized that summer is finally here. I came to this realization when I started stepping over weeds that haven't been mowed yet.

Summer in Florida means it's too hot to mow your grass. You have to wait until your yard becomes an unbearable jungle and you fear for your life from snakes and salamanders before you can actually stand the thought of taking the lawnmower for a spin-Because no matter what, you're going to end up going through at least 4 glasses of tea, having a lame-o Farmer's or Tank Top tan and dirt and grass all over your body all the while sliding off the seat because you're sweating out 2/3s of your water weight.

Another wonderful summer treat is the free sauna you get every time you get in your car. Whether it's a ten minute trip into the store or checking the mail, you get a spa like treatment including a hot stone massage for your hands when gripping your steering wheel that has somehow turned from Rubber into HOT MAGMA the moment the AC is turned off.

Don't get me wrong-I enjoy summer. It was the best when we were little kids-All you could think about was swimming. Anything with water was the best. I don't know if any of the hotels around here still let you swim for a fee when you're not staying there. If that had been the case when I was little-there would've been many crying fits and foot stampings. I remember watching my sister and her friends lay out tannning and I would think to myself "How can they do that all day when there's so much beautiful water to play mermaids and marco polo and tag and racing?!!" I don't know exactly when the transition took place but now I lay on my float for hours without even noticing that there's water below me.

Summer also makes me feel nostalgic. I think about nights at my relative's river houses and how much I miss family vacations to the beach. I know I must've got on my siblings nerves when I was little, I wish we could all go on vacation together now so they could actually enjoy my company a little more. Haha. I also think about softball games and fireworks in CK. Just the little things, you know? Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, yes, summer. I used to not really notice the heat (mainly because we were always swimming), but now, you can't miss it. During the summer, I'm walking around with either a drink or a fan in my hand, sweating like a whore in church. It's SO hot. Forget mowing the grass, I hate even walking outside. As soon as I hit the humidity, my hair turns into white girl fro, and I'm covered in sweat. Oh, how I long for Fall....
    But back to the nostalgia of summer...I, too, remember playing mermaids and marco polo. So much fun. Many great times were had in the swimming pool (or putting along in punky's putt-putt).

    ReplyDelete